Tuesday, November 9, 2010

About my Term Paper

Doing research on how the internet deprives people of their privacy made me realize that we spend too much time surfing the net and in essence bare our all to the world at large. I don't think people realize that the more time they spend on the internet, the more information they give about themselves and the more they risk losing their privacy. Because the more people know about you, the more vulnerable you become to con-artists and scammers and even companies that use your information for marketing purposes. I decided to research this topic because I wanted to know the extent at which we expose ourselves to strangers, and i also wanted to know ways to protect my identity and privacy online.  One of the things I learned is that scammers target children and high school students in terms of getting sensitive information about their parents; I also learned ways to protect the children from scammers and this is important to me because I have an 8-year-old child.

1 comment:

  1. Your topic is very similar to mine. I talked about the dangers of social networking. I’m not surprised that children are a prime target; I also came to a similar conclusion in my essay. But I completely agree if you don’t have a complete understanding of the internet then you can and will get taken advantage of. Maybe for extra credit you can make a wiki page with the information you’ve learned on how to protect children on the internet.

    ReplyDelete